16 recommendations of healthy nutrition in the prevention of the Alzheimer’s disease, other dementias, obesity, cancers, diabetes, ischaemic illness of the heart
1. Buying food, diverse as possible and from different suppliers, lowering in this way the risk of the accumulation of one type of harmful substances in the body, is recommended.
2. Least processed products, and self-preparation of meals are recommended.
3. Avoidance of the excess of sugar and salt is recommended.
4. Avoidance of the excess of cold cooked meats due to the large content of chemical additives is recommended. For enthusiasts of cold cooked meats a preparation of roasted meat by oneself is a good custom.
5. Avoidance of the excess of meat especially fatty one is recommended. We apply the great changeability of kinds of the meat and suppliers. Eating only a poultry is an infringement of 1st recommendation. The meat can contain harmful amounts of antibiotics – especially poultry is suspicious.
6. We are trying to replace the meat with fish – wild living saltwater fishes are most valuable.
7. Eating several servings of raw vegetables a day is recommended taking a 1st recommendation into account.
8. Eating several servings of fresh fruits is recommended taking a 1st recommendation into account.
9. We are eating slowly in order to let our body to take time for sending information about satiating its needs to the brain.
10. We should generally eat less of the food than we want to eat.
11. We apply small portions of different kinds of dishes clubbing together for the meal.
12. We are serving meals in an aesthetic way, eating slowly what allows for enjoyment of the taste and the appearance of dishes.
13. The dinner will go well with moderate amount of alcohol (equivalent of 25g of pure ethanol ? one glass of wine or one beer or one standard drink).
14. Drinking of one or two cups of the green tea and coffee per day is recommended.
15. Turmeric – spice well-known for Indian cuisine (a component of curry) in combination with the black pepper or hot red peppers should appear on our table.
16. Preparations of fish oil containing Omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D3 are the only supplements of the diet worth recommendation, taking a 1st recommendation into account.
Assoc. Prof. Dariusz Stępkowski PhD,DSc
Last revised 2014.05.31